The introduction of Self-Service continues to advance people management.
The benefits of Self-Service for employees is being able to get answers to their questions on demand. With a Self-Service portal employees can easily access things like:
- Overall compensation
- Vacation and time-off balances
- Company policies, and so much more…
Understanding the Benefits of Self-Service
It's important to recognize the benefits of Self-Service to your organization as a whole. By offering an employee portal your company will:
- Be able to provide timely, effective communication to the entire employee team regardless of time zones
- Realize improved data quality as information can be collected at source directly from the employee
- Reduce administrative costs and tasks as your people management team no longer has to spend time re-keying data or looking for a copy of an employee’s missing tax slip
- Increase employee engagement by integrating it into their daily routine for things like checking their schedules or entering time-off requests
Important Considerations for Self-Service Implementation
All of those benefits sound great – but in order to achieve them you need to have a Self-Service roll-out plan that employees will embrace. Here are a few items to consider:
- You need a plan to ensure your employees embrace using Self-Service, that includes identifying early adopters who will promote it, communicating successes (e.g. since implementing self-service our companies paper costs have gone down by 25%), and you need a training program and materials so that new employees can start using it immediately
- You need an integrated database for your Payroll, HR and Time & Attendance information – if you have multiple disparate solutions and employees need to log into multiple platforms it will frustrate them
- The Self-Service user interface needs to be easy to learn and navigate
- Your Self-Service needs to be accessible by employees anytime, anywhere and from any device
In my opinion, Self-Service is going to continue to provide the biggest opportunity for employee engagement. What started as a one-way feed of information has now become a two-way communication portal. I have seen Self-Service go from being only for employees to now including applicants so they can maintain a relationship with your organization.
When implemented correctly, Self-Service provides huge value to all of your stakeholders.
Keep On Reading
Check out our free guide on how to reduce your 6 most time consuming Payroll tasks.
About the Author
Marlo Hertling has worked with leading HCM organizations and has been helping Canadian companies implement HCM solutions for more than 15 years. She is the Vice President of People & Culture at Avanti Software Inc and serves as Avanti's HCM subject matter expert.More Resources by Marlo Hertling